Spring Hill, TN – The SHPD will be partnering with the Tennessee Highway Safety Office to promote Motorcycle Safety Awareness. With warmer weather coming, there will be more motorcycles sharing the road. Please remember to look twice to avoid a crash.
Here are a few safe driving tips to prevent crashing with a motorcycle:
- Though a motorcycle is a small vehicle, its operator still has all the rights of the road as any other motorist. Allow the motorcycle the full width of a lane at all times.
- Always signal when changing lanes or merging with traffic.
- If you see a motorcycle with a signal on, be careful. Motorcycle signals are often non-canceling. Always ensure that the motorcycle is turning before proceeding.
- Check all mirrors and blind spots for motorcycles before changing lanes or merging with traffic, especially at intersections.
- Always allow ample follow distance – three to four seconds – when driving behind a motorcycle. This gives riders more time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.
For more information, please visit www.tntrafficsafety.org/motorcycles.